Our new produce manager Jen has great advice about how to cook fiddle head ferns!
Here’s what she says:
“One of the reasons I love working in produce is getting to see the unique and ‘exotic’ products that come in seasonally. Even though I am intrigued by this strange produce, I am often intimidated and a bit too lazy to try it myself. I’ve made a goal for myself to be more adventurous when it comes to cooking new things. The possibilities for these early spring wild fern babies are endless! They can be baked, sautéed, pickled, steamed, or braised. Here’s a super easy recipe if you would like to try them yourself:
Salt and pepper to taste (use smoked salt for extra yumminess)
Feta cheese crumbles
1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
2. Wash the fiddleheads thoroughly and pat dry.
3. Remove any loose brown leaves and trim dry ends.
4.place the fiddleheads in a roasting dish and coat with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Roast for 25-30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
6. Remove from the oven and place on a serving tray.
7. Garnish with Feta cheese and enjoy!!”
Photo credit goes to Jen.